Quirks mode triggered in IE7 & Chrome using HTML5 doctype

Page: 1

Author Post
Read the docs, linked items, and forum for answers to quirks mode triggering problem with no success. Unless I'm missing something obvious (always a possibility), doctype is HTML5 compliant. But page load still triggers quirks mode in IE7 and Chrome.

Possibly something in HTML5 Boilerplate being used, e.g. normalize or modernizr? Just a guess.

Page header source follows:

code removed by admin

The site is still under development. FB isn't licensed YET (but will be when client ponies up.) Site is .htpasswd protected. If necessary, I can provide login credentials...

Thanks for any help you can give and gratitude for the solid product!
« Last edit by admin on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:36 am. »
Administrator
I bet that's not the source HTML that browsers see. Take a look at the document using the "view source" capability of an affected browser. You'll find something fishy there, like perhaps a comment or xml string prior to the doctype declaration.

If that doesn't reveal the problem, I'll need to see the actual page to suss it out.
The code pasted was source from Chrome browser.

The corresponding template code follows, but does not deviate other than inclusion of templating tags:
code removed by admin
« Last edit by admin on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:47 am. »
Administrator
I'll need to see the page then. You can email access details if you like using the message function available by clicking on a user name in this forum.

By the way, I generally strip large(ish) blocks of code from postings because they tend to disrupt search and don't contribute to the knowledge-base function of old threads.
OK, sent the credentials via the contact form. Thanks again. :)
Administrator
Ah-hah. There are two characters in front of the doctype declaration but Chrome's "view-source" is not showing them. The doc begins with hex "0A 3F" which is a line feed and question mark. You gotta figure out where those are coming from and get rid of them.
Administrator
More info...
Cut and paste into a hex editor from Chrome's view source shows the file beginning with 0A CF. The same from Network/Response panel in Chrome's developer tools shows the file coming in with CF CF as the first two chars.

I wonder if there's something funky about the character encoding your editor is using when saving the actual source text file?

I should probably resist wild speculation because I have no way of knowing or guessing what's going on. I can only report that those wayward characters are being delivered to Chrome.
Ha, I use Notepad++, which was set to encode as UTF-8 instead of ANSI. Will have to investigate why that caused characters to be inserted. However, changed it, re-saved, uploaded, and all is well.

Good to know it's not H5BP or components. (Never suspected Floatbox, just another antagonist)!

Thanks for the hand. Hope this quick catch makes your day-- and as always, thanks for standing behind your code. :mrgreen:

Page: 1