Floatbox opens in a new window

Page: 1

Author Post
I have a user going through a browser-based SSL-VPN to remote desktop to a server and use a local intranet site. The site has a button to open a floatbox like this:

fb.start(url, 'height: 272, width: 715, scroll: no, cornerRadius: 4, padding: 8');

For that user, the Floatbox opens in a new browser window but other users connecting to the same server using the same SSL-VPN have the Floatbox open normally as a Modal popup.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Administrator
Hi,
It's impossible for me to guess why this user is having a problem. I wonder if it could be something simple like a preferences configuration in the browser that has javascript disabled, or something similar. Perhaps this user could try a different browser from the remote desktop and see how things behave.
Are there any known specific conditions that would cause the fb.start function to open a new browser window rather than the normal modal popup?

This is all through IE8 and no Javascript errors are being thrown.

I will have the user try a different browser to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.
Administrator
Only for mobile devices. If the behaviour is occurring for only one visitor to the site and everyone else is fine, then the problem has to be at that visitor's browser instance. Ask them to flush their cache as a starting point.
Administrator
More correctly, desktop browsers will open the content in a new window or tab if the shift key or ctrl key is held down (or is stuck) when the link is clicked. And as mentioned in the first answer, if the user has javascript disabled the link will open as a normal link with no javascript error being reported (because no javascript will be running to throw an error).
New browser window opens for both IE8 and Chrome and after user flushed their cache.

It's a form button onclick event that spawns the floatbox and not an HTML link. So I don't think the shift or ctrl key applies to that situation and I don't think the onclick event would work if Javascript were disabled.

I also have a similar case with a user getting the floatbox in a new browser window on a HP Thin Clients T5720 runinng Windows XP Embedded with Internet Explorer 7.0.7530.11
Administrator
If you can link me in to page where this problem is occurring then I can help debug what's going on. Without access to the page there's not much I can do other than offer some blind guesses that will most likely be wrong.

Here's another such blind guess: It sounds possible that the default click action is happening and interrupting the fb.start() call. Perhaps something like an <a> element that lacks an onclick action that returns false, or a submit button that doesn't cancel the form submit action.

Show me = help. Can't show me = can't help, but not because I don't want to.

Cheers...

Page: 1