Tooltip failures

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi- I'm new to Floatbox, actually still test-driving Vers.5.4, and I like it. I'm ready to purchase but I discovered this tooltip problem.

I can make this problem occur on FF10.0.2, Opera12.01, Chrome 21.0.1180.89 m and IE8 (all on XP Pro).

I first noticed it on my own test pages, but I can also make it happen on the Floatbox demo page (floatboxjs.com/demo), so I know it's not an error I introduced to the coding.

To make this happen, I hover over the demo text, and the tooltip pops up. By quickly moving the cursor into (and perhaps out of) the tooltip, the tooltip will freeze, and not go away unless I hit escape or refresh the page. (The tooltip will still be there 30 minutes later.) This happens with at least hiddenDivID and Ajax tooltips.

It doesn't happen every time I do this, but it only takes a few tries to get it to freeze up in this way. It may not be the way everyone uses a tooltip every time, but it happened to me several times without trying, quite early in my testing, and now I can make it happen quite reliably.

I think this problem would be troubling to the average visitor to a site, and especially so to a site trying to make any kind of sale.

I intend to see if I can reproduce this on a different machine.

Overall, I like Floatbox, and may purchase it anyway on its other merits.

I've searched the forums, but I haven't found any reference to this behavior. Any thoughts?
Administrator
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the report. There is a problem with 'stuck' tooltips in v5.4.0, and I'm currently working on getting it fixed for the v5.4.1 release which, if all goes well, I should have out in about a week. I can't replicate the exact behaviour you are reporting, but it sounds very similar to how I can easily break tooltips by rapidly moving the mouse back and forth between two adjacent tooltipped elements. My attention to the problem was drawn by this forum post.

Until 5.4.1 is ready, you might want to try the previous version which I don't think exhibits this behaviour. It can be downloaded from http://floatboxjs.com/downloads/old/floatbox_534.zip.
(For some reason, that link is not working in Chrome for me right now, but it is in all other browsers.)

Cheers...

Update:
You might be able to avoid the problem in version 5.4.0 by setting fadeDuration:0 in your tooltip options.
« Last edit by admin on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:31 am. »
I'm very impressed by your quick reply; thank you.
I'm satisfied to wait for the next release. I'll be a paying customer by then.
Thanks again

Page: 1