Strange Behaviour with FB v8.x

Page: 1

Author Post
Member
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
I've updated all of the sites I've made using Floatbox to FB v8.3.1 with no problems, except for a page on my own site where I just can't fathom out what's going on. The page in question is:

https://reeddesign.co.uk/photos/fb831.html

This is the original page which is still using v8.1.3 and works and displays exactly as it should.

https://reeddesign.co.uk/photos/index.html

On page fb831.html the first subtitle 'Julia' appears in a box which should be just for the thumbnail photos. I can see that FB is putting a <div class="fbWrapper"> round the <h2> heading, but I don't get why.

The only difference between the two pages is the version of FB. (I'm using a small bit of custom CSS in an extra css file - floatbox-extra.css which I know will need changing, but this isn't the cause of the problem.)

I can also see a difference in the styling of the Next/Prev and caption on the FB window, and the image numbering has disappeared, but I can see you've changed how they're being called (you're using Flex now) so I'm sure I can sort out my bit of custom CSS for that, once the main problem is sorted.

All updates up to and including v8.1.3 have always worked perfectly up to now and I think I first made this page years ago using v4.something.

Can you see what's going on?
Administrator
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 3381
I'm having no issues on the 8.3.1 page other than the 'Julia' caption being pulled from the <h2> instead of just being plain text. My guess is that the other issues might simply be stale files in your local browser cache.

The caption problem is simply this:
The caption is 'Julia'. The id on the h2 element is 'Julia'. 8.3.1 is matching those two up, taking it as a request to pull the caption from the page element, and putting a wrapper around that element so it can put the caption back when the floatbox is done with it. This is a bug, and a bit of a surprise to me. For referencing page elements as content or captions, Floatbox is supposed to require syntax such as caption:#Julia - the hash mark being the signal to look for an id.

I'll figure out why that's happening in the last release. The solution is obvious for you, and that is to change up the caption option or the id so they no longer match.

It may be a week or two before I can get to my end of it. I'm currently on an end-of-summer road trip visiting family, friends and favourite haunts.
Member
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks Byron. I knew it had to be something obvious. Have a good holiday.

Page: 1