Slideshow Autopause?

Page: 1

Author Post
At least in Version 4.x, a running slideshow was automatically paused when manually going back to a previous picture or when the current image is zoomed.

In v5.7.1, slideshow is always played until the pause is triggered manually.

Is there a deeper reason, why this behaviour has changed? And is it possible to reimplement this?
Administrator
Correct, there were auto-pause settings in previous versions that would allow a slideshow to stop on other activity. Floatbox has over 100 available settings and a fairly complex code base. I strive to minimize bloat and keep things as simple as possible. In this spirit, those options were retired. I am of the opinion that a simple user-interface means that the slideshow pauses when the user chooses to pause it, and not under a variety of circumstances. I don't think anyone is missing these auto-pause functions and I suspect you are noticing their absence only because it is something that changed. If I hear from other folks that they need those settings re-instated, I'll consider doing so. Myself, I prefer the simplicity and predictability of the current approach.
admin wrote
If I hear from other folks that they need those settings re-instated, I'll consider doing so.

Thanks, that's OK for me.

Just to clarify this (and my similar other questions): My last updates of floatbox have been a very long time ago. So that's a little bit like with growing children: If you see them every day, their current state of height and physical alternation is nothing special to you, but if you see them only every few months, you may say "OMG, this kid has altered so quickly and significantly" :D That's also the reason why I discovered the bugs recently - I probably wouldn't have so if I made each incremental update.

For technically-aware users like you and me, it is logical to pause first and then do something with a picture in a slideshow. For other users without that awareness, they may think "hey, I'm currently zooming, why the hell does the next picture occur?" :lol: :roll:
My approach of service is: Think for users who don't, based on their actions.
Administrator
Fine if you've got only one user. If you've got two you're sure to have one who says "Why the hell doesn't this pause when I enlarge it" and the other will say "Why the hell does this thing pause when I resize it. I never sent a pause request". But perhaps I'll add a simple pauseOnInput option so that you can set your site to your best guess of your users' preconceptions.
admin wrote
But perhaps I'll add a simple pauseOnInput option so that you can set your site to your best guess of your users' preconceptions.

Would be great, thanks in advance for consideration!

Page: 1