Floatbox does not support quirks mode. Page needs to have a valid doctype declaration.

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi!

When attempting to enter a webpage, I get the following error:

"Floatbox does not support quirks mode. Page needs to have a valid doctype declaration."

I understand from reading some of the posts here that it is an error on the side of the webmaster. However, I would like to know if there is any way I can get around this error, as I had been on that site just a few minutes prior and it had worked fine. I did get that error the first time too, but I was able to click through it, second time that didn't work anymore. I shut of my browser and started up again, but to no avail! I use Internet Explorer 9.

I would be grateful for any assistance, as I would very much like to access that webpage again.
Administrator
Floatbox will work only on pages that are served in 'standards mode' and will display the warning message you encountered on pages that are served in 'quirks mode'. Here's the relevant section from the instructions:
Doc Types
Floatbox does not support quirks mode. All pages that include floatbox content need to have a valid doctype declaration at the top of the page which will set the browser to render in standards-compliant mode. If you don't know what doctype to use, the simple HTML5 doctype declaration <!DOCTYPE html> is an excellent choice. Note that for Internet Explorer, if anything at all appears above the doctype declaration, quirks mode will be set. So please don't put an html comment or an xml declaration such as <xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> at the top of your pages.

There's an excellent and detailed article about quirks mode on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode

Page: 1