YouTube videos on my local computer

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi,

I tried floatbox to show youtube videos and it works on my website. However, trying to access the youtube videos from my local machine, floatbox opens the its fancey window frame but after a long delay gives a message about File Not Found.

I assume this is linked to the security mechanism of the Flash player?

It could be much more convenient to work on my website pages if I can use floatbox locally, instead of uploading each page. Is there a way to do this without running a local server?
Administrator
Sorry Avi, I have no idea why you are getting File Not Found on your local file system content. It sounds like a bad path reference somewhere. There's no way for me to take a look and see what it might be. so I can't help you.

Many people do develop with Floatbox on a local file system. I think there are often challenges getting all the relative paths correct when doing this.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

So you are saying that this can be done but something is wrong with the path name to the youtube video.

I have no problem to embed the video in my pages using <iframe> without floatbox.

I copied some <a> refs from your website demos and they don't work either.

For example:

<div class="floatbox";>
<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4YTpa3Bwg" data-fb-options="width:1280 height:720">YouTube</a>
</div>

but this, as well as all other attempts, doesn't work from the local computer.

I get similar results with the other video providers, like vimeo and dailymotion. The problem happens only in videos. I have no problems with images.

I'm ready to purchase a license, but I fear this issue will take a lot of extra work, unless solved.
Administrator
The href in the quoted example does not have a protocol segment. When no protocol is specified, the currently-in-use protocol is used. In the case of running from a local file system, the protocol is "file:" so the effective youtube href is actually href="file://www.youtube.com..., which of course cannot be found.

Specify the protocol in the href to get to external resources not on the file system. Make that href say "http://www.youtube.com....".
Thank you for trying to help.

Unfortunately, "http://www.youtube.com..." doesn't help either.

Any last call ideas before I give up?
Administrator
I can't see your content so I can't snoop around and find out what file cannot be found. I give up. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you do too. ;)

Maybe firebug's net panel could give you a clue???

Page: 1