buffered video?

Page: 1

Author Post
alfinator
Hello,
I just installed floatbox to replace lightbox and LOVE it. However, when I try to link to a youtube video, it doesn't seem to pull up a floatbox with the "buffered" view but instead opens a blank floatbox and appears to be downloading the entire video. Is there a way to have it behave more like the standard embedded view for youtube or motionbox? Thanks.

Alfredo
Administrator
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. All the youtube stuff I try plays the same in a floatbox window as it does from an embed or from the youtube site itself. You get the youtube player, the video starts right away, and you can see the download progress bar proceeding along ahead of the play control. I assume that's what you mean by buffered - that it starts playing while downloading and doesn't wait for the whole file to copy first.

Take a look at the youtube example on my demo page to see this behaviour.

So if your experience is different than this, can you provide a link where I can see the (mis)behaviour?
alfinator
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I found the problem. I use SeaMonkey on Vista and it has this issue. Firefox and IE do not. Any idea why SeaMonkey would have an issue (it uses the same code base as Firefox). Thanks.

Alfredo
alfinator
Oh, one more thing, the video does play, but it is not visible. The audio comes through, but the floatbox remains blank (this behavior also shows up on your demo page for all of the video links you have posted). Thanks again.

Alfredo
Administrator
Yeah, same behaviour for SeaMonkey on XP here. I'll work on it.
(Browser market share statistics anyone?)
alfinator
(Browser market share statistics anyone?)

LOL, I won't look it up for fear you won't fix it ;-) It does do a few nice things that I wish FireFox would support. While I'm asking for the moon, any chance of adding motionbox to the supported formats (it is flash based similar to youtube, but not as restrictive as youtube when it comes to content length). Thanks again for your help and for the wonderful floatbox.

Alfredo
Administrator
I've already got it figured out.

A SeaMonkey bug for sure. It also has the same no video behaviour with quicktime content. But, it seems to display ok if fixed positioning is used. So for the next version I'll force fixed positioning on SeaMonkey multi-media (as I'm already doing for Firefox2/quicktime).

What you can do in the current version is set the disableScroll option to true. But be aware that fixed positioning won't be set if the content dimensions exceed the browser window size. Let me know if that works out for you please.

I never bothered to look into motionbox because they require signup and a user account. Floatbox won't be handling site logons.

SeaMonkey and MotionBox - you're not one who likes to run with the pack, are you...
« Last edit by admin on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:06 am. »
alfinator
Thanks. That did the trick. FYI, I also had to disable "halo".

SeaMonkey and MotionBox - you're not one who likes to run with the pack, are you...

LOL, you don't know the half of it. Thanks again.

Alfredo

Page: 1