Cross-browser Issues

Page: < 1 2

Author Post
Administrator
Could it be a network timing issue? Maybe you've got some asynchronous stuff happening, and your network response times are quicker than mine, and some network fetch completion is disrupting your script flow but not mine. If so, there may be something that needs to be moved into a callback instead of called in immediate sequence resulting in pseudo-parallelism.
I found the culprit: it's MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit. When I upgraded to Win 10 the consensus opinion seemed to be that the built-in Windows Defender was pretty good and just adding Anti-Exploit would be enough, and no other anti-virus was needed. So that was what I did.

There was nothing in the Anti-Exploit log to show that it was messing up parent.fb.resize. In fact there was nothing in the log at all apart from a long list of having been started each time I opened a browser.

For the moment I can solve the problem by disabling Anti-Exploit, but it leaves me with a potential problem where other users have followed the same advice that I did.
Drat! I was wrong! With MalwareBytes disabled, it worked perfectly all afternoon. Then it stopped working again.

The erratic nature of it makes me very reluctant to draw conclusions again, but this time I have found that the Kill Sessions link works fine, but the procedure I described before to open a map doesn't. Perhaps that will guide me to the answer or perhaps it's another red herring. I suspect you may be right and that it is some sort of timing issue.
Well, after more red herrings than an Agatha Christie novel, I think I know the problem. (I don't know the solution.)

I've temporarily put in three versions of the button (coloured a vile pink to distinguish them) to demonstrate the problem. If you go to www.myrootsmap.com and click on the little menu tab, it will open the slider.

The one marked "tt + end" was the one I wanted to use. The code is
<a href="origin_pick_public.php" class="menu fbTooltip" data-fb-tooltip="source:#ttpublic" onClick="fb.end()">View a Public Roots Map (tt + end)</a>
<div id="ttpublic" class="ttsource">You can look at any roots map that the owner has made "public"</div>

It has a tooltip on it and fb.end to stop the tooltip remaining after the click.

I was suspicious of the fb.end fairly early on so tried the one marked "tooltip" (just missing out the onClick event) but that was no better.

Finally I got rid of the tooltip completely and that works, but I'd like to get the tooltip back. Every other tooltip script and plug-in that I tried constrained the tooltip within the border of the slider, which was no good for this application.
<a href="origin_pick_public.php" class="menu" style="background-color:pink">View a Public Roots Map (plain)</a>

I don't understand why the tooltip should have an effect on the later script, but presumably it leaves something hanging around in there somewhere.

(For the moment I have left in the Javascript alerts just in case they are still needed for debugging.)
Administrator
To dispense with a side issue first, calling fb.end() is a convenient shortcut when there's only one floatbox in existence. You have more than one and so should be targeting the one you want to close with <instance>.end. See the API reference for how to get the <instance> reference.

But never mind fb.end... You really should put aside all the tooltip and floatbox resizing work until Floatbox 7.2.0 exists. It has, as just one example reason, a workaround for the WebKit bug where mouseout would not fire if the mouse was stationary while the element under it moved away. This was the reason why you needed to wrestle with fb.end to chase the tooltips away, and this is already sorted out in the code on my workbench.

I strongly recommend putting your attention to the application itself, and hold off on the Floatbox components while I'm working on them. I'm fixing stuff that's devouring your time right now.
Great stuff, Admin. I'll wait for 7.2 with baited breath (whatever that is).

Meanwhile I've stepped back to a working non-tooltip version so I can get on with other things.

Page: < 1 2