Youtube doesn't auto-start

Page: 1

Author Post
I was having a problem viewing a youtube video delivered via Floatbox on an Ipad. It was getting a flash error. This baffled me because I don't see where flash is involved in the process. I upgraded to the latest version of Floatbox, which appears to get past the Flash issue, but now when I click on the link, Floatbox opens the video, but it doesn't start automatically like it used to. It requires the user to click again.

Is this something that can be fixed with an option?
Administrator
autoplay=1 gets sent to youtube with each fetch of a video iframe embed. It's up to the youtube service and the browser platform as to whether that autoplay request will be honoured or not.

In the case of your iPad, it is the Apple/Safari/WebKit crew that is blocking autoplay. Quoting from Apple's developer documentation:
"Warning: To prevent unsolicited downloads over cellular networks at the user’s expense, embedded media cannot be played automatically in Safari on iOS — the user always initiates playback."

It's an iOS feature, to keep mobile data costs down, and is impervious to influence from client code such as Floatbox.
Thanks for the reply.

I spoke with my customer, and he doesn't seem to care either way, so it doesn't look like it'll be an issue. And if it is, he can bring it up with Apple.

Page: 1