Flash (swf) size - load time

Page: 1

Author Post
Pzoco
Hi there..

I have installed floatbox on my website, and I use it with swf files.

But I have a tiny problem, when people press a link to the flash file, it opens up fine. but the loading time is killing them..

The file size is approx. 7-16mb can I do anything to reduce the loading time of my flash files ?

(Flash files are from powerpoint (pps/ppt) and are converted to flash)

It works fine, but it takes a long time to load..

Can anyone help me? :P

Thanks [Want a test: dan.thoeisen.dk/test.htm]
Administrator
I'm not strong on flash authoring, but here's what I think I know about your issue. I'm pretty sure that what we are looking at here is flash files that don't support progressive download. Adobe's got a good article on the differences between embedding, progressive download, and streaming. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/video_guide_02.html

From that article, it sounds like you need to deliver flash as an flv file (or other supported format) played by a swf player to achieve progressive download. This is how online video services like Yahoo Video, Google Video, etc. do it. Their embedded links are to an swf player file with querystring parameters that point the player to a particular video file. Direct loading of large swf files such as yours is not recommended because, as you've seen, they must be fully downloaded before they begin playing.

Searching on "FLV converter encoder" should get you lots of choices for converting the swf format. A couple of good flv players I'm familiar with are JW FLV Media Player and flowplayer.
Pzoco
Thanks a bunch.!!

I will try that.. - my brother knows a bit about flash and i spoke to him today actually, about my problem.

He said I could do something like what yu just described.

So I'll try on my own :D

Thanks again, cheers

Page: 1