iPad, autostart

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have had Floatbox installed on a website for a while now, everything works great. I have a few landing pages that I am using floatbox to autoStart a window which offers a coupon code to customers. My question/problem is in two parts:

1) when I visit the landing page on my iPad, the floatbox never opens. I tested on numerous Windows and Mac browsers and it works just fine. Only on the iPad is it not working.

2) In general, is there a way to delay the autoStart by 10-15 seconds, so that my visitors have a chance to see the page, before the floatbox opens up?

I apologize if this has been addressed before, I searched but couldn't find anything on the forum.

Thank you,

Mike
Administrator
I'd have to see the page online to determine what might be the problem on the iPad. One possibility is that the content is a scrollable iframe and by default such content opens in a new tab/window on iOS devices instead of in a Floatbox, because Mobile Safari is atrocious and handling scrolling of iframes. I have no clue whether this is relevant to your issue or not without seeing the page.

You can't use the autoStart option to initiate a delayed start, but you could easily hook up a call to fb.start in a setTimer call made from a window.onload handler. This would be your own small javascript code. See the Floatbox API Reference for fb.start details.

I don't want to second-guess the design of your page, but I'm pretty sure I would find it quite irritating to have a floatbox spontaneously jump up over the page content I was just starting to look at.
« Last edit by admin on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:24 pm. »
Thanks for your reply. Here is a link to the page:

http://www.soulomute.com/lp/trombone-bucket-mute-remarket.html

The content is not opening in a new window, just nothing is happening.

I'll give the delayed start idea you mentioned a try.
Administrator
I can't reproduce nor identify the cause of the autoStart failure you are reporting. My iOS test device is Mobile Safari on an iPod. The autoStart on your page works every time for me on this device. I have no idea why your device is behaving differently.

I doubt that the following is affecting you, but it should be cleaned up anyway. Your .js files are being served with the wrong mime type. They are coming in as text/html instead of text/javascript. The bad mime type may be coming from the W3 Total Cache tool you are using on the site. It might be worthwhile disabling or uninstalling all Total Cache activity on your site, getting the mime type correct, and seeing if autoStart still gives you grief after that.

Page: 1