Inline div doesn't show embed's in IE

Page: 1

Author Post
mike553
Hello,
First of all great Floatbox, It's a pleasure to use.

I'm trying to show some embeded inline div content using Floatbox and it works great in firefox but it just doesn't show in Internet Explorer 7.

Here's what my code looks like:
<a href="#inlinediv" rel="floatbox" rev="width:435 height:370">Adrian Belew - Oh, Daddy</a>

<div id="inlinediv" style="display:none;" align="center">
<object width="425" height="344">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tz8dX7HNvvw&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tz8dX7HNvvw&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
allowfullscreen="true"
width="425" height="344">
</embed></object></div>

I know I can show a youTube video just using the URL but I have other videos from other places that I only have the embed code ie: Justin.tv, ustream.tv and various other places. Is there a way to show embed codes using the inline div feature of floatbox in IE?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
mike553
One other note:

I have this set in the js file:

hideFlash: false
Administrator
Excellent taste in videos by the way... ;)

Well damn - I can't get flash to play in IE from an inline div either. It doesn't matter what flash source I use, and my usual trick of fiddling with the wmode param doesn't help.

The best I can offer is to suggest that you move your flash code into separate html files and load them in floatbox as iframes. This works for sure. You can template it from the "Flash in a Frame" sample on the demo page if you like.

Note that I tried lots of different strategies for structuring the objects and embeds for reliable display across different browsers and platforms. The one shown in that sample (view source) seems to be the best. But of course if you've already got your working flash code built you may want to just paste that into an html page template.

Some other day I'll kick at the inline div problem a little more, but I'm not hopeful that it can be resolved.
mike553
Sounds good! This is such a great program, I was a little surprised that it couldn't show inline div embed's in IE. But it seems like it takes care of everything else very well!

Anyway, I was jumping around and found some javascript that shows inline div embed's in IE. Here's the code if you want to scan through it and see how it makes them work, hopefully it'll save ya a little time in tracking down the fix.

(Lengthy code quote removed: admin)

I obtained the code here.

Thanks for the great work!
mike553
Any chance we'll see this fixed in the new release? :)

I can't call my embeds from separate framed in html pages because there are tones of them and they are being directly injected into my content from a database. :(
Administrator
I doubt this will ever be fixed in floatbox. But it shouldn't be a problem. Direct loading of flash etc. is a much cleaner way to go than moving object code in from a hidden div.

You don't need to go to an external iframe html page to make this work. You're already building both the hidden div object/embed code plus an anchor that refers to that div. Throw away the hidden div and just point that anchor to the flash object instead of the div. It will load. And you can pass in flashvars or other params if you need to.

The reason why I doubt this will be fixed is it's not really a floatbox bug, but lies more with the flash player itself. It seems to get confused about where to show its visual output when it's moved around in floatbox's complex heirarchy of stacked divs. It's loaded and in the right place and on top of everything else, but just does not display video. I know there's other *boxes out there where this works and I think that's because they have a simpler, or at least different in some key way, div layout structure for their boxes.

But like I say, this flash misbehaviour shouldn't be of too much concern because there's a better and simpler way to load this content: Just direct load it.

Page: 1