Floatbox works outside frameset, but not inside it (complete and utter insanity)

Page: 1

Author Post
voskat
I've been a programmer for ages, but I've rarely seen anything this mindbendingly insane before...

1. Go here: http://www.archicom.nl/seminars
2. From the menu on the left, pick "Logistic Seminars"
3. Click "Review Seminar 4"
4. Click "Photogallery"
5. Floatbox doesn't work on any of these images!

Now for the truly bizarre part...

This is that exact same page, but without the frameset surrounding it:
http://www.archicom.nl/seminars/content.asp?id=192&mirror_overwrite=0

That's right. Suddenly, all the images work fine!
This happens in all browsers and on a variety of different computers.

Please please please tell me what the hell is going here before my poor head explodes. :shock:
« Last edit by Unknown on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm. »
voskat
And yes, I am using framebox.js.
Administrator
Would it help your exploding head to know that the page works fine in Firefox, just not in IE?

What I think it is is that the include lines for floatbox.css and floatbox.js are down inside the middle of a table cell in your document body. (The fbOptions definition is in there too.) Move all this stuff up into the <head> section of the document and I bet it will start working in IE (and all browsers).

I suspect that what is happening is that the javascript stuff in the body is not executed until after the page onload and domready stuff fires, so floatbox doesn't get initialized. Floatbox initializes on those load events, but in your case it does not exist until after those events have come and gone.
voskat
Thank you! But moving those things into the HEAD section isn't an option in my particular situation...
So I'm solving the issue by getting rid of the frameset structure.

Thanks anyway for clearing it up.. and for a brilliant piece of programming. I'll be donating as soon as I get paid. ;)
Administrator
Are you sure you can't move that stuff into the head? I mean the head of the child page with the floatboxed image links in it, not the head of your top frameset doc.

But what am I saying - I'm not a big fan of framesets and should be encouraging you in your plan to retire them. 8)

...Cheers

Page: 1