Kudos for 3.20 and iphone support

Page: 1

Author Post
Casemon
3.20 is an awesome improvement on an already awesome set of features. Thank you.

Wanted to ask if you'd considered supporting Safari for iPhone. Currently floatbox works on iPhone's Safari, but is a little buggy due to how floatbox determines popup placement & how Safari decides how tall the current page is.

The result is that the floatbox will usually appear far down near the bottom of the page, way past the background div (fade) extents.

Also, it appears that the "click outside of the floatbox to close the floatbox" behavior doesn't work in iPhone's Safari (likely due to it's neat zoom in/out feature).

Anyway, that's all from me. Congratulations Byron on a great release!
Administrator
Hi Casemon.
It's good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the info re iPhones. I was curious about how things were working there, but I don't have an iPhone to play with. Better iPhone support is definitely something I'm interested in, but I'm not hopeful because there is no emulator platform available for build and test. (The so called emulators I've seen just mimic the screen size but use a different browser/javascript engine - no use at all really.)

It sounds like screen measurement works quite a bit differently on the iPhone platform. I'm a little surprised as the iPhone browser is suppossed to be half way between Safari 2 and Safari 3, and the floatbox screen measurements are fine on those two platforms. I also suspect the onmouseover events for lighting up the controls won't work.

Maybe one day I can get better iPhone support happening, but I'm not in a position to now.
Casemon
Hello,

Yes, I think your assessment of the issues are spot on. There are some pages dedicated to what is available and what isn't on iPhone Safari, on the web.

As to Safari compatibility, I think such differences were concessions to make for a better browser experience on a limited device. Something to do with caching / loading the full page and / or modifying text & image sizes, I guess (all of which a site can elect to ignore with meta tags btw).

One thing about simulators tho, the iPhone simulator is fantastic; download the free iPhone SDK and you'll can see what I mean.
Administrator
The iPhone SDK runs on OS X Macs only, which I don't have.
Bummer. :(

Page: 1