class and rel-attributes

Page: 1

Author Post
pietercsmitz
I found the floatbox only two weeks ago, so it may seem a little blunt to bother you with my problems, but I think I overlooked something from the start, I know myself, once overlooking something the blind spot is there to stay...
Like always I start with trial & error, that's the only way for me to learn something. So I started implementing the floatbox rightaway. But the odd thing was, when I followed the instructions it did not work, only when I changed the class-attribute into a rel-attribute.
Even when I copie-pasted bits of script from the demo this happened.
Here's a page where you can see this in practice, http://www.dewolken.net/mei/vreuble/nieuwbegin.htm , that'll be more clear than my clumsy english.
There are several links which use the floatbox, all with the rel-attribute.
As an example I put the link to the Google Newspage from the demo somewhere in the middle.

don't get confused by all the layer-divs on the page, I'm experimenting with those (also), but that has nothing to do with it. On more simple pages the same thing happens.

When I fill in 'class' in Dreamweaver, a kind of pop-up list appears with all the options, and all the floatbox sub-classes appear (#fbOverlay, div.fbOverlay etc.) but no class 'floatbox' itself. Maybe I did something wrong with 'installing' the thing? I just placed the files in the directory of the site.
So though it may seem to work with the 'rel-trick', I'm afraid I cannot profit of all the benefits of the floatbox that remain to be explored...

I'm a newby in all the scripting things, so maybe it is just something very obvious I overlook,

greetings from holland,
piet
Administrator
You're using v3.24 but reading the docs for v3.50. Use of the class="floatbox" attriubute was added in v3.50. v3.24 uses only the rel attribute. Use of the rel attribute is still fully supported in v3.50 and achieves the same result. The floatbox demo page is set up for v3.50.

(Just a reminder to folks who are upgrading from earlier versions, or are thinking of doing so, you don't have to change any of your markup to the new way of doing things. The old style markup works just fine and will keep doing so.)

I don't use dreamweaver and don't know how its interface works for assigning classes. But if it scans the css for classes and presents those in a pick list, it won't find a class of "floatbox" because that's not in the css.
pietercsmitz
thank you, I guess I had the bad luck to be one of the last to have downloaded V3.24...
upgraded and now it's fine!

p.

Page: 1