Area Map???

Page: 1

Author Post
Groove
I am attempting to get floatbox working in an image map. I am getting an validation error "The tag: "area" doesn't have an attribute: "rel" in currently active versions.[HTML 4.0]".

Any ideas?
Administrator
Yeah, the validator is correct. There's no rel attribute in the spec for area elements. But they can't do any harm being there. And if you want those area hrefs to open in floatbox, you need them there. It's a perfectly safe thing to do, but you don't get to put one of those nifty looking "valid html" widgets at the bottom of your page. :(

By the way, the next version (to be released in maybe one week) allows you to move the rel info into a className, so you can do away with the rel attribute if you like. You could also not "rel" the area tag up at all and instead give the area thingy an onclick action of fb.loadAnchor(this.href, 'option:setting etc'). See the docs if that's of interest.

But the simple answer is, never mind the validator. Use a rel tag. It will behave just fine in all browsers forever. (Browsers just ignore attributes they're not looking for.)
Groove
Admin,

Thanks. That helped a lot. I got the floatbox working now.

Thanks again,
Groove

Page: 1