Cool... No soap with fireFox, great in ie7

Page: 1

Author Post
NateOwens
The new site I'm working on is still under construction - you go to the site and for now click on one of the links to "illustration", "graphics" or "who". The others are still a-coming.

This is the link to open the site = http://www.nateowens.com/9index.html

I'm an artist and not a programmer.. doin' code is painful, I work with Dreamweaver 8. Obviously I haven't read all the postings here or fully devoured the manual - but I really like what happens in ie 7 - probably a solution to Fire Fox (I have 2. something)... but a friend says the thumbs won't expand in his newest either.

Ideas and stuff are well accepted... keep it simple, pleez.

User posted image

Nate
« Last edit by Unknown on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:12 pm. »
NateOwens
This is the email response from a friend using the latest version of FireFox =

Nate
Looks good. Using Firefox (latest)
But the thumbnails don't expand when you click on 'em. (Although I can see the addy for them in the status bar)
dc

:?
Administrator
Oh! That was a request for assistance. I had no idea! ;)

Your site is built on a frameset/frame structure. Sorry, you can't use floatbox (or any other lightbox utility) from a frameset document. But it will work fine if you discard the frameset layout.

As an example, notice that if you load http://www.nateowens.com/9illustration.htm directly, the illustrations "expand" just fine, but if you navigate to it from your home page through the frameset heirarchy, it does not work.

Ditch the framesets. There's nothing in your page layout that warrants them anyway.
NateOwens
thanks - my post is both a request 4 help and praise for floatbox

I should explain that the link I posted ---http://www.nateowens.com/9index.html is a new site I'm building inside my old site. When it's ready for primetime, I will move it to the main root (probably at a new host).

Not sure why you say floatbox does not work in framesets - it seems to work fine.

Do you mean it just won't work under framesets in firefox?

I'd like to keep the frameset as it allows the navigation menubar to always be accessible - browser doesn't have to scroll up and down to get the navigation links.

What would be the best alternative for doing that other than the frameset?

Your help is greatly appreciated - love your utility it makes a super impressive presentation! 8)
Administrator
Ok, a little more about framesets.
Framesets don't have a document body and can't display content directly. They can only contain frame documents. In order to cover the whole page, floatbox attaches to the top page document. In a frameset, there's nothing there on the top page to attach to.

IE is the odd man out here. It will render content attached to a top frameset document. This is actually an odd thing for it to do, and is counter to the way framesets are intended to work. No other browser does this. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera, SeaMonkey - your site won't work with any of these. Something that works in only one browser is no good.

You can use framebox.js instead of floatbox.js inside your frameset child docs if you like. If you do this, the floatbox display will cover just the frame portion of the page, and not the entire page. Read up in the docs on this if you're interested.

If you really want a framed layout, use iframes instead. Floatbox works fine with these, and iframes replaced framesets as the generally preferred method some years ago. You can also freeze a navigation div by giving it fixed positioning. But don't be thinking you're going to drag me in to helping with site design or general web-site building tips. I'm here for floatbox support only. :)
NateOwens
But don't be thinking you're going to drag me in to helping with site design or general web-site building tips. I'm here for floatbox support only

No dragging from me.
Sounds like we're all done here.

Page: 1