Floatbox use in Blogger sidebar

Page: 1

Author Post
Shrale
Hello, I am trying to get Floatbox to work in the sidebar of my Blogger blog. I have copy and pasted the javascript code and the CSS code into the HTML/Javascript widget and added the first line of HTML for the picture. Unfortunately this does not work. I have implemented it just the same as the Lytebox code which I have working, by using <script>, </script> and <style>, </style> tags. Even though I have Lytebox I would much like the extra features of the Floatbox. Can you please help me? Thank you.
Administrator
Floatbox is wired up such that it can be used as a drop in replacement for lytebox. It will pick up and use the existing lytebox tags on your anchors if you like. So if your stuff is working for lytebox, just changing the .js and .css include lines should be enough to switch over.

Generally when floatbox just plain doesn't work, it's because it just plain isn't in the location referenced by the include lines that are being used. Check your paths.

But there's no way I can guess what your issue is without seeing the page with the problem. Got an online link I can peek at???
Shrale
The deal is, with Lytebox I copied the whole javascript code and CSS code and pasted into the widget. I did not use the include lines.

I tried copy and pasting the actual Floatbox code into the widget instead of having the two lines which give a path to the .js, and .css files. This worked for Lytebox oddly enough considering that I've been trying for months to get it to work.

I'm using this method because I have not found a reliable file storage site on which to store the files.

Here is the page as it appears at the moment. The top picture does not work, while the one below it is the working Lytebox picture.
http://shraleadventures.blogspot.com/
« Last edit by Unknown on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03 am. »
Administrator
If you can't find a good spot to place the floatbox files, I don't know how you could ever make it work. Floatbox (and any other similar utility) needs to access its associated images for things like the navigation and close buttons, never mind the content to be loaded. But ok, let's say you can find a place to put the supporting files, but not the main files.

I set up a little test page including floatbox.js and floatbox.css as inline script and styles, and it worked ok. A couple of things need to be done. By moving the code into my test page, I moved its location. So urlGraphics and urlLanguages options need to be updated to point to the path where those supporting files are located. Also, we need to change all the floatbox.css background images to the true path. In its native state, floatbox.css expects to find its background images in a graphics folder immediately under the css file location. I don't know where you have the floatbox graphics, but they're not in "/graphics/" off the site root.

A last recommendation I have is that you included the floatbox script and styles in your document body. Maybe you would have better luck moving that stuff to the head section where it was originally.

That's as far as I'm willing to take this one. I tried it out and it worked ok, so that should give you some hope. But are you sure you don't way to save yourself a world of hurt and just include the js and css files in the usual way?
Shrale
Thanks for your help, I'll try it that way, hopefully it will make a difference.

Page: 1