FB & phpBB3

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello... and thank you for such a fine product. Have very much enjoyed using FB. I came to FB from Lytebox but Markus has decided to end that clone's development. At first I was a little concerned but once I looked at the clone matrix it was clear that FB was perfect for my needs. Converting from Lytebox(frame) to FB was very easy and I'm very glad I made the switch.

There's really only one issue that I've run into and that's when I try to load FB on a phpBB3 page.

phpBB3 (as I'm sure you know) is a very popular open-source bulletin board forum software and we use it for a private network of non-profit organizations to collaborate with one another.

The problem I'm encountering is that while FB seems to execute without error, the window frame container, drop-shadow and background opacity overlay that darkens the screen do not display. All I see is the iframe container with my alert content.... no Close link etc.

At first I thought it might be because of the doctype that it uses (strict) but my tests show that FB works perfectly with this doctype on other pages. My next thought was some conflict with CSS so I commented out all the phpBB3-specific CSS references I could find and still had the same problem. That leaves me wondering if it's some JavaScript problem or something but before I go much deeper thought I'd post something here to see if anyone else has FB and phpBB3 working together?

The code is running in a private network like I say so it's not something I can easily give you access to but you can see the the basic page code by loading https://proto.cristinanetwork.org/phpbb3/.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks!

Brian Barrett
Director, Technology & Communications
National Cristina Foundation
Administrator
The only time I've seen floatbox fall apart like you describe is when there has been a css conflict. But I haven't seen reports of that for a year now, since I cranked up the specificity in my css. And your tests seem to indicate (not conclusively) that it's something else. What else, I couldn't begin to guess. I'd really have to see it in action to be able to dive in and look around. I don't know of another site that's using fb with with phpbb3, but they may be out there.
admin wrote
The only time I've seen floatbox fall apart like you describe is when there has been a css conflict. But I haven't seen reports of that for a year now, since I cranked up the specificity in my css. And your tests seem to indicate (not conclusively) that it's something else. What else, I couldn't begin to guess. I'd really have to see it in action to be able to dive in and look around. I don't know of another site that's using fb with with phpbb3, but they may be out there.

Since my original post I've been able to discover that the floatbox CSS reference wasn't being included properly in the combined phpbb3/my site's header. Still wiping the yoke out of my eyebrows on this one. :roll:

For the record, phpBB3 and Floatbox work beautifully together. Problem solved. My bad.

Thanks for the response!

-b

Page: 1