Works Locally but not Online..??

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi.. Do you know why this media will open locally but not online..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/TestPanoWebGL/FloatBoxPanoTest-2.html

Thank you

Tesselaar....
Administrator
It could be the missing quote at the end of the data-fb-options attribute on the div.

Also, I strongly recommend that you get rid of that long XHTML doctype declaration and always and only use the simple HTML5 doctype.
<!DOCTYPE html>
OK, I think I have the head as you suggested, but I do not understand the other part, the missing quote.

I have this.. You you please edit this as you suggested...

<div class="floatbox" data-fb-options="doSlideshow:true autoStart:true group:demo2 colorTheme:red maxHeight:640 controlsPos:tr imageTransition:slide contentCornerRadius:10 navType:button minBoxWidth:95% minBoxHeight:95%">
I edited and stripped the code to this, and it still works locally but not online.. I am still learning how to do this so to me I cannot see what else I can do..

<a href="http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/AutonomousTourFinal/IpswichAntiqueCentre.html" class="floatbox" data-fb-options="autoStart:true colorTheme:red maxHeight:640 controlsPos:tr contentCornerRadius:10 navType:button minBoxWidth:95% minBoxHeight:95% width:1200 height:600 boxScroll:false showNewWindow:true showPrint:true enableDragResize:true">
</a>
I have tried heaps of things but for some reason, this url will not open the FloatBox..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/XX/WebGL-VR-Tour_files/LocalHtml/NewFloatBox/FloatBoxPanoTest-1.html

I tried to put the folder inside another and use the url with ../ and ./ but still does not open.. Very strange.. I can open the media outside of this folder set.. But not inside it.. Only locally.... Not remotely..

Somethings you have to just give up one..

Tesselaar...
Administrator
I can confirm that your content loaded fine when referenced from other sites, but not when referenced from your site.

This was tested by running something similar to the following code from the developer console while viewing various sites, including your own.
fb.start( &#039;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript_syntax&#039; )
(The path was of course not to a wikipedia article, but rather to the pano content on your site that was being used in the example page which has since been removed.)

Floatbox worked fine in all cases, showing the content as delivered. The problem was in the content delivered - consisting only of the contact graphic from your site, but including the pano background when run from other sites. The source of failure must be either something in the pano software package, or, less likely, something odd in the server config by your host (or by your .htaccess files).

If you're still interested in pursuing this, probably the best approach is to create a minimal case example of the problem and look into the behaviour of that simple case. This would probably consist of creating a small, clean (and correct) page that includes nothing but an iframe with a src attribute of the pano content page - no floatbox, no nothing except one iframe. Same behaviour? Now you've got something that the pano folks or the hosting folks can look at to see what's happening.

The following is not criticism, but is essential information you'll need to make a success of this project.

In general, throwing blocks of cut-and-pasted code from a different context into a complex page will never work. You need to read and understand the documentation of your tools before you start to use them, build up step-by-step from a bare minimum start such as a simple and lonely "hello world" function, and most importantly, never place even a single character into the document without understanding the purpose and necessity of each character.

The problems with throwing up a Jackson Pollock canvas of found and scrounged code include:
-- a high probability of failure
-- it takes an order of magnitude longer than does gathering the understanding required and then methodically building a clean and organized project
-- if you do luck out and get something working, it will necessarily be fragile and fall apart at the slightest change
-- when it does fall apart, you can't fix it because you don't understand it
-- you can't refer to external support because this style of coding is unsupportable and nobody is interested in climbing into that spaghetti bowl.

You've got my recommendation for a simple iframe example of the content problem that started this thread. As for the project itself, if throwing this one away and starting again from a foundation of knowledge and understanding (before coding!) and then proceeding under the principles of concision, incrementalism, clarity, correctness, readability, and supportability sounds like a rewarding pleasure, go for it.

Whether you reboot or move on, good luck and good cheer.
Emmm.. I guess as a Primary School teacher with very little knowledge of programming, I was expecting far too much from Floatbox with my limited skill set. My main use for such media is to learn a little bit of coding but also to use it to showcase my early year students work in a fun way.. I also like to add different media to my 3D interactive testing.. Just a little hobby...

I think one of the main issues is my basic server space provided free with my ISP account. Perhaps there are some limitations to it. It is only a small space so I am forced to remove most of my test to make space.. I am not permitted to add to the schools server and since most of these things only work when online, I am forced to use what I have access too.

Thank you anyway..

Tesselaar..

Page: 1