Nag screen on licensed site

Page: 1

Author Post
I'm periodically getting the "nag" screen on videos on a licensed site. Another one of my users has reported exactly the same problem. Try poking around with the videos on this page:

https://jgromit.com/saturn/video/
Administrator
fb.key(), when run from a developer's console while viewing that page, reports the presence of a well-formed license key that matches the domain. The only way a nag screen can occur under these circumstances is if the page is being accessed under an alternate domain/server name that does not match the installed key.

If you encounter another nag screen that you think should not be occurring, please inspect the URL displayed in your browser's address bar to see if the reason is apparent there. Also, run fb.key() to see what it reports. If it still looks out of whack, please send an exact copy-and- paste of the address bar's URL at the time of the nag, and the full capture of fb.key's output while the nag is on screen. (A legible screenshot image that includes all three - address bar, nag screen & fb.key output - would remove any ambiguities and misinterpretations.)
Here it is.

https://jgromit.com/noKey.png
I have a weak theory about why this is happening, and some testing seems to be bearing it out.

I'm not a Javascript guy, so I'm never sure what I can get away with, and what I can't. These pages are not created manually - everything is coming out of the jAlbum application. I try to avoid tinkering with the distributed software, and from within the application, there's no easy way to edit fbOptions.js. What I do instead is load the script on the page, but then load my own program-generated fbconfig.js file, which adds things (like the license key), and overrides some of the defaults.

I've done some manual tinkering, and if I use an edited fbOptions.js, and skip the subsequent config file, the problem seems to go away. Tough to test, of course, since you have to just keep hitting the video until the problem shows up, so proving the negative is a challenge!

BTW, my user and I have never seen it with any other expander - it seems to hit only an MP4 video (not even YouTube or Vimeo).
Administrator
Oh, right! I forgot how much you like to tinker and modify.

The Floatbox mp4 player is an html page that presents itself and runs inside an iframe. A floatbox.js instance is loaded in that iframe to make API functions available to the player script. It sounds like you don't have a license key defined anywhere that the script in the iframe can find, and it is this instance that is nagging.

I don't quite get why you can put license keys into fbconfig.js but not into fbOptions.js. If you get them into fbOptions.js as per the docs and standard practice such problems won't pop up (literally). Don't forget, you can put multiple keys for multiple sites into a single instance of fbOptions.

Or, be a rebel and figure out how you want to get the license keys defined for the video player iframe instances.
That's sort of what I figured. The solution, from my end, is fairly straightforward - instead of copying the stock fbOptions.js file to the output, and then adding a second script to modify the options, I just need to create fbOptions.js under program control.

Not difficult, especially since I'm not using the bulk of it, so I don't need to write out most of the lines. I'm not using the default classNames at all, for example. But just a random thought - does the nag popup itself need access to any of those classNames? If so, I'll want to leave at least that part of it in there.

It's not a matter of enjoying tinkering - it's simply that my application is used by people who know nothing about coding. I can't send them into manual editing of configuration files - they'd make a dog's dinner of it. For the license, for example, they simply paste their license code into a text field in the jAlbum UI. It's up to my routines to get that into a config file that Floatbox can use.

Page: 1