Problem with Vimeo Videos (new uploads only)

Page: 1

Author Post
I have been using Floatbox with my Vimeo videos without any problem. Here is a video I uploaded last week and it works fine.

http://www.pifemaster.com/blog/four-points-sheraton-mars-wedding-andrew-jamie-orlovsky/

However, I have tried to get it to work with video that I uploaded today and something wierd is going on. I can embed the visdeo and it plays fine. If I use floatbox, I hear the audio, but do not see the video. I switched the code with the above video and it is defintely related to NEW uploads to Vimeo. The problem does not exsist on videos uploaded last week.

Problem video:
http://www.pifemaster.com/blog/pittsburgh-marriott-north-jordan-laura-bitzer/

I have tried re-uploading the video and still have the same problem.
Administrator
Thanks for the clear post and examples.

Vimeo has disappointed me in this instance. They've made a small and pointless change to their javascript API (for recently posted videos only) that causes Floatbox to fail to pick up dimensions.

For older videos, the Vimeo API returns, in part:
"duration": 349,
"width": 1280,
"height": 720,

In their obscure wisdom, they have decided to return the following for new videos:
"duration": 321,
"width": "1280",
"height": "720",

The difference being that width and height are now strings and not integers (and yet, duration remains an integer). Perhaps this is just a coding error on their part.

The upshot of it is that when no dimensions are given for a Vimeo video, Floatbox will query the Vimeo API for dimensions and do arithmetic with the results. It implodes while trying to do arithmetic with the strings.

I'll release a new version that will cast the API results to integers regardless of the format they are delivered in. In the meantime, you can work-around this problem by explicitly setting width and height on those videos, thus bypassing use of the API's width and height.
Add data-fb-options="width:1280 height:720" to the troublesome Vimeo link.
I have vimeo videos embeded in iframes to be activated by fb. Your above suggestion of defining the height and width seemed to have no effect.

My Travel

Kindly assist!!
Administrator
First, let's not confuse folks reading this. We're off-topic from the original post. You are not direct-loading Vimeo videos in Floatbox and having trouble retrieving size info for them.

You do however have a very strange setup of trying to load a video as an iframe embed from a hidden div on the main page. I don't think that's going to work, and I'm not sure the motivation for trying. Just direct-load the video in Floatbox. See the Vimeo example on the Multimedia tab of the demo page for the simple syntax for doing that.
The inline loading is for the sake of calling the same contents from different clicks on the same page (I use the jumping tag in the map to call for the same video as in the description column).

I have reverted fb to version 5.20 and all vimeo videos appear on where they meant to be whereas the 5.31 version have no show.

Pardon me for going off-topic!
Administrator
It's not a problem going slightly off-topic. I just don't want other folks reading this to get confused. :-)

The content doesn't have to be in a hidden div to be called from multiple links. Any content can do that. Just have the links' hrefs point to the desired content, as many times as you like.

I'm very surprised to see those videos show up in 5.2.0 but not in 5.3.1. I'll spend some time trying to figure out why. The two versions are doing the same thing, and neither actually plays the video. The video is played by the iframe in the hidden div. Floatbox just moves that content into the box display, nothing more nothing less. Hmmm.....

I still think you'll be much better off just direct-loading the videos rather than the complicated setup of an embedded player in an iframe in a hidden div. In addition to being simpler and more robust, it will have the immediate benefit of not showing scrollbars when the video is sized to the screen. You can throw away all those hidden divs and their contents and just set your link hrefs to something like "http://vimeo.com/12345678" (substitute the desired video id). It's that simple, in either Floatbox version.
I'll surely take your advice to direct-load instead of going through the inline!
Thank you very much for sorting this out. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to correct this and originally I was thinking it was something that I was doing wrong.

The workaround you indicated has corrected my problem. I will continue to use that workaround until either Vimeo fixes their API or until you adjust FB to match their API.

Thanks again for everything!
Robert Pfeifer
Administrator
I have posted version 5.3.2 which addresses this issue and handles Vimeo's return values as both strings and integers.
I downloaded/installed 5.3.2 and removed the workaround from that video and it has corrected the problem.

Thank you very much for everything.

FB = AWESOME TECHNICAL SUPPORT!

Page: 1