Beginners teething problem

Page: 1

Author Post
Just recently I purchased your excellent product. The reason I chose Floatbox was because I wanted a multi playable system, or as near as possible, which would work on as many types of computers, plus tablets and mobiles, which seems to be the way everyone is heading these days?

Previously I had only created Flash movies which was fine for Android products such Samsung, but didn't solve the on going battle between Apple and Adobe, who produce the Flash product, Mac not allowing Flash to run on their tablets etc.

I am currently updating my site and as this cross platform video problem has always irritated me I went looking for a solution and I think I have found it in Floatbox.

Floatbox seems to be the ideal cross platform solution and testing the Floatbox Demo page on as many types of handhelds plus Mac it seems to work well. As the instruction say, the basic format is pretty straight forward and it didn't take long before I had a test page running on Mac tablets and Windows PC's (result) http://www.orlit.co.uk/presentation.html

But then I ran into a problem, I could now run my videos on everything except my Samsung Note. Even my Kindle HD will stubbornly run the files, as that also has an aversion to Flash Files?

I have explored the various types of "mp4" files running my Pinnacle edits through one of the recommended H264 encoder and using AVS video converter made a parallel "webm" file, to no avail. the resulting files stubbornly refuses to run embedded on the the Samsung note. The screen showing the missing video player logo.

So I decided that I would use your demo page to test my files. Everything is the same except
for the css style sheet which I redirected to my server. Example below plus and addition file which I back loaded and created the "site_v3.css"

<link href="floatbox/site_v3.css" rel="stylesheet"/> ( Have no idea what this file does as I can't find it in the Floatbox downloaded package?)

<link href="floatbox/floatbox.css" rel="stylesheet"/>

The result is your demo page running on my server with my mp4 files. The YouTube and Vimeo files also work, the rest are just blank as I'm only interested in my additions. I could also duplicate the page using the floatboxjs as the route folder and run the original "dance" file so I knew I had a good test bed,

http://www.orlit.co.uk/test.html Runs perfectly on every thing except the Samsung Note, I don't have a larger Samsung tablet.
http://www.orlit.co.uk/test2.html Runs on everything including the Samsung Note which launches a choice of player button and then plays the file full screen, which in fairness a) proves the file runs and be is a partial solution but not embedded in the Floatbox player.

I have tested more than this but the outcome is always the same. Now as I'm new to the program and I'm not a coder, I would like to prove that it will work on at least the major players in the tablet/mobile phone tables. Just out of interest the KindleFire HD (Which I consider to be just an elaborate colour reader, will play but you have to insist by pushing the play button a couple of times.

So the question is "why does your demo page play on the Samsung Note and the same demo with my video doesn't"?

The H264 mp4 will play but not in it's container. Please understand that I have not become as familiar with your code as I will unaccountably become with time but before I enter into this project with Floatbox, I would just like to prove it will do the job using my files.

Can you help?
Administrator
When a video runs fine from one server but not from another, the problem can often be that the second server is not delivering the proper mime type information for the video. The default config of many web servers does not include mime types for video files.

If running from Apache, you can set mime types in the .htaccess file at the root of your site. On this site, my .htaccess files contains the following section to set mime types. The only two lines of interest for this topic are the mp4 and webm lines.
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
AddType text/html .html
AddType text/javascript .js
AddType text/css .css
AddType image/gif .gif
AddType image/x-icon .cur .ani
AddType video/ogg .ogv .ogg
AddType video/mp4 .mp4 .m4v .f4v .f4p .f4a .f4b .mov
AddType video/webm .webm
AddType video/x-flv .flv
AddType audio/ogg .oga
AddType audio/mpeg .mp3

You shouldn't really be pulling my site css into your site. It is not in the Floatbox package because it has nothing to do with the Floatbox software. It styles my web site content.
Thank's for this, yes I realised this was not the norm hence my email to you regarding the unorthodox approach to seeking a solution. As I don't know too much about coding and like a book if you want to know "who-done-it", you turn to the back page first. I will try your suggestion and add to my own page.
Many thanks for your quick reply

B

Page: 1