exclude group from link

Page: 1

Author Post
I have a website giving information about a building and its tenants. This is a essentially a multilevel slideshow. A user clicks in an office in a floor plan image that that an organization is in, and a new floatbox window opens (using the area map option) with text describing the organization that is in that office. The user can close the window to return to the floor plan and pick another office, or click next to just step through all of the offices on that floor. There is also a link at the bottom of the text that allows the user to open the not for profit's website. Sometimes a a not for profit has two or three webpages we want to offer for the user, so the rest of the links for those pages are outside of the <div> that contains that text, and they are given a common group name.

The problem is that the link that is in the text gets the group name from the office text, but also has a group name to tie it to the one or two additional web pages that are related to the organization. So is there a way to nullify a group name in data-fb-options?

The other option would be to call the organization's web page using the info option. But I have not been able to get it to work on a page that is external to my site. Works fine on local pages. I asked about this once before, but I think that post got clobbered when your spam software decided that I was spammer a while back. I don't recall if you gave me a solution info or if you said that it couldn't be done.

I've tried 'info:www.workersrights.org' and 'info:http://www.workersrights.org'/ also tried info:#wrc and defined an anchor with a link with class="floatbox". No luck.

Here's some sample code.

<div id="dccadv5" class="floatbox" style="display:none;" data-fb-options="group:5thOffices" >
<div id="dccadv5Start" style="width:600px; display:none; padding:12px;">
<h2>DC Coalition Against Domestic Violence - Mission & History</h2>
<p>DCCADV&#039;s mission is to build a community where domestic violence is replaced with human dignity. We advance our mission through advocacy, community education, public policy, technical assistance and training, resource sharing and research.</p><br/>
<p> The Coalition is a resource for the thousands of adults and children experiencing domestic violence in the District each year, as well as the local organizations that serve them. The Coalition offers support and services for today and education, advocacy and leadership to shape a violence-free future for families in the District of Columbia.</p><br/>
<p><a href="http://www.dccadv.org/index.php" data_fb_options="group:dom5Violence">Visit the DC Coalition Against Domestic Violence Website></a></p>

</div>
</div>

<a href="https://www.facebook.com/dccadv?ref=ts" class="floatbox" style="display:none;" data-fb-options="group:dom5Violence"></a>

Thanks for any help.
Administrator
If I understand you correctly, you want an occupant's web site to appear in two different gallery sets - one gallery of occupants of the floor and another gallery of sites particular to that one occupant.

This is no problem, but you cannot do it with only one link. A floatboxed link becomes a member of a gallery set by virtue of its group option however that option gets assigned. The group option cannot accept multiple values, nor can it switch values based on context.

Put a second link to the occupant's site on the page and assign the other group name to it. One link will be grouped with the floor occupants while the other will be grouped with the occupant's other pages.
Not quite what I want. I have a floatbox window from which I want the user to be able to click next to go to another slide (one group), but I also want the user to be able to open a new slide or slideshow (second group) that shows him/her a website or websites associated with the business discussed on the original slide .

The problem I am having is that if I include the link for the websites in the descriptive material (a <div>) for the main window, it gets in the group defined for the Next/Prev buttons. It needs to be available when the user has this window open. The only other option I can see is to put the website in an info box, but I can't seem to get an info box to open with a live external (other domain) webpage in it.

Essentially I need to link from within a slide that is part of a group, to a separate slideshow, without including the link that calls that separate slideshow in the original group.

Hope this is clearer.

Anne
Administrator
I think I get it, and I suspect you're over-thinking it. You've got two slideshows. Create links for the content you want to show in each. Assign group names to group those links into their respective slideshows. If you've got a content page you want to show in each slideshow, you'll need to link it twice - one with one group name and one with the other. If you don't want one of your current content pages to appear in a particular gallery, don't assign the group name for that gallery to it.

If you've got a link in a div that's inheriting the group name from that div, and you don't want it to be a member of that set, assign a unique name such as 'standalone' directly to that link, or clear its group option with 'group:null'.

I'm pretty sure you said you have an occupant's page that you want to appear in the gallery set for all occupants on a building floor. And that you want that same page to appear in a gallery set of all pages for that particular occupant. That's two links to that page, one with one group name and one with the other group name. Don't get stuck trying to get a single link to be a member of two sets. It just doesn't work that way.

By the way, if getting the group options assigned to the gallery set links by propogating them down from a containing div is confusing things or getting in the way, don't do it. Just keep things simple and assign the group setting directly to each individual link that you want to appear in the set.
« Last edit by admin on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 pm. »

Page: 1